Friday, March 7, 2008

Love-Hate Relationship

Snow - you either love it or you hate it. Right now I'm teetering on the edge. I love to get outside with my camera when the snow casts its beautiful spell on my little piece of the world. I'm not so crazy about the finger-numbing cold and what it does to my precious Canon, my $400 lenses, and all those batteries rolling around in my camera case. If you're in the same love-hate relationship, keep these things in mind when the snow starts falling.

Get pumped up and enjoy winter with all its challenges. You chose "love" in this relationship or you wouldn't be suiting up and heading out the door right now. But be smart, too - check out some locations ahead of the storm that you know will reveal tree branches laden with powder, fields of all-white winter grasses, serene trails, and flowing water (turned to ice sculptures) . And, if possible, take along a companion - you never know what conditions or situations you might encounter.

Protect yourself by dressing comfortably warm in layers, with a brimless hat and a coat with a hood, if possible. Wear a thin pair of gloves or cut off the finger tips so you can use your camera controls.
Those little hand-warmers that hunters use when outdoors for long periods of time work great in-between shots and are lightweight enough to keep handy in your coat pockets.

Keep your camera as warm as possible as most problems occur due to cold batteries. If you can, always use alkaline batteries and
take along as many extras as you feel you might need based on the temperature. Also, try to keep your camera inside your coat but if it's snowing, cover it with a zip-lock bag. Cut an opening for the camera lens and viewfinder. If needed, wrap a rubber band around the bag and camera to hold the bag in place. Do not blow the snow off the camera lens as the condensation from your breath might freeze on the lens - brush all snow off instead. When you are done for the day, place the camera into a small plastic bag to protect it from condensation when it is brought inside.

OK, I'm heading out myself right after I finish this cup of hot chocolate - really. Just a couple more gulps and I'll be ready to go. Really.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger