Thursday, April 17, 2008

So much for Spring has finally sprung!

I was all set to head out yesterday morning on my annual Spring Has Finally Sprung photo shoot (I love when the sky is turning a soft shade of blue, flowers are blooming, grass is growing, and the light is fantastic!) when I realized the garage door was already open. Hmmmm, did my husband forget to hit the button on his way to work? (Sorry, Babe, you always get picked on, huh?) My first reaction was to try closing the door but it wasn't goin' anywhere. Which meant I wasn't goin' anywhere, either.

Now, we live in a typical subdivision in a typical suburb with the typical sense of security we all appreciate. But, I couldn't just leave the house knowing the garage door would be wide open for all to see! I just knew someone would drive by, look in, and see our beat up old lawn mower and think to themselves, "Boy, I could sure use a beat up old lawn mower." So, I put the Canon away, got out the Yellow Pages, and found garage door repair - that's me! I got on the horn and within minutes I had an appointment for a repairman to come out - an appointment for TOMORROW morning! Wait, that means our door is going to be open all night long! (That's exactly what I said to the company dispatcher and she said, "yes, that's right, maam, tomorrow morning." Silence.) OK, I can deal with this. It's only one night - what could happen in one night?

Later that evening, as the clock struck midnight and it was time to toddle off to bed, my brain kept saying, anyone could just walk right into the garage and take...take what? The beat up lawn mower, the half-used gallon of Pretty in Pink paint, the broken lawn chair hanging from a nail on the wall, the 20 or so empty flower pots stacked in the corner? You get the point. It's all a bunch of junk. So, with nary a second thought, I hopped in bed next to my husband (he was already snoring - see, what's there to worry about, anyway?) and proceeded to have nightmares about the lawn chair attacking me in the middle of the night.

Forget the pretty blue sky and daffodils - I should clean out the garage instead.

4 comments:

The Monroes said...

OK, I am not going to leave my address...but when that happens to us (too frequently) I disengage the automated part and make it a manual door, then just pull it down by hand...it doesn't lock, but no one knows that from the outside :) For future reference, I don't want you missing out on any beautiful shots! It is funny to think about how worried you were and how "fine with it" your husband was...such is life!

Becky J said...

Hey, friend, thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, one of the cables that are on either side of the door had come off the track so it literally wasn't going to go up or down until I had given the repair guy a check for 125 bucks to fix it! Arrrggghhhh! And, why is it that men and women deal with stress so differently, and why don't we women take a few pointers from the men?

The Monroes said...

Oh... yeah, that IS a problem then, and they say to NEVER mess with a garage door because they are so heavy and dangerous. I want to take many tips from men; like being able to fall asleep at the drop of a hat, feigning ignorance so they don't have to do something...there are so many I could start a whole Blog about it! Got to love them though, they sure do offer a different perspective on life. I am glad your door is fixed so you can get out and shoot some great pics!

Becky J said...

Heading out right now, as a matter of fact. I agree...men - you can't live with 'em or without 'em :-)

Powered By Blogger