Saturday, April 19, 2008

Don't fence me in...

guard rail

defensive end

KEEP OUT! (or in?)

black pawn moves two squares

iron clad

With camera bag in tow, I headed downtown to the old deaf school where there is a beautiful topiary garden guarded on all sides by a weathered wrought-iron fence (whenever I visit the park, I'm instantly reminded of the Edward Scissorhands movie and my secret love affair with Johnny Depp). Anyway, I had planned on taking some shots of the flowering trees and whimsical topiary statues but got totally "hung up" on photographing the fence instead (I know, my perspective has always been a little whacked - living sculptures, fence, flowering dogwoods, fence...I'll take the fence, please.) I started focusing on the points, curves, weight, shadows, and textures of the intricate ironwork while these little captions just kept popping into my head. For some reason that day, the fence spoke louder to me than the trees and the monkey shrubbery. Who knew?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your creativity, Becky J!
Incredible perspective with the fences.

Becky J said...

Thanks, my friend! Like I said, why my mind gravitates towards fences instead of flowering trees is beyond me but I guess that's what makes life so interesting.

Powered By Blogger