Sunday, July 27, 2008

80 years young!


Happy Birthday, Mom. It's still hard for me to imagine that you are 80 years old today. I wondered what I would write in your birthday card for the party but as soon as I sat down, the words just flowed out of my heart. And when so many people got up to "say a few words"about the woman they, too, have come to know through the years, a running theme began to emerge:

You are compassionate, kind and loving
You are non-judgmental and quick with a word of encouragement
You inspire those around you to be a better person
You forgive and you forget
You see the glass half-full, especially in your own trials and tribulations
You laugh out loud and even louder at yourself
You are one heck of a dancer and a tennis player
You are what we want to be when we grow up!

I can't wait to see what the next 20 years brings (80 is the "new 60," you know).

2 comments:

The Monroes said...

Beautifully written and I am sure it came easy- she sounds like a wonderful woman!

Becky J said...

I actually held it together pretty well at her party - I cry at everything but especially when it's about my mom!

Powered By Blogger