Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back to School



For most families, "Back to School" means a backpack or two or three filled with school supplies, shopping for clothes that will be outgrown before the year is over, a new bus route and driver, "Meet the Teacher Night," and kids who can't get to sleep the night before the Big Day; however, for the family reflected above, this year "back to school" means most of their adult children will leave the summer nest and drive off into the sunset to college. This mom planned months ahead to arrange our photo session knowing full well it would be quite awhile before memories like this could be captured again. Just as we were wrapping things up, Mom said to me, "I'll bet you don't have too many sessions like this," and she was absolutely right...

I was thinking exactly the same thing as I looked through my viewfinder and found four (actually five now - one of them I learned is now engaged - congratulations, Brad and fiance Sarah!) very bright, successful, and well-rounded people who all seem eager to be in the world on their own terms, yet are still trying to figure out the meaning of life. I'm thrilled for them and for their parents. Especially their parents, who are still able to smile considering all the tuition they're forking out :-)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger